Monday, March 18, 2013

New World Map

Okay. So right now the world map is big it's empty and it's gross. I was having yet another discussion about what I could do to fix it with Kuga who I like to think of as a a conceptual mob boss because he knows how to take an idea and make it work for him.   Anyway, this coversation came about because of some hand drawn pokemon world maps I found. Those look good. Traveling isn't a bitch. They feel full of life. Slight problem though. They aren't tiled. I'd have to do point to point travel if I made something like.

So we were just sitting there with our tea and pizza bouncing pros and cons off of each other. When he suggests using it for the paper mansion instead, because as many of you have noticed, traveling in that place is a wreak. Good idea. But while I was working on that I kept thinking about ways I could deal with the tiling for a hand drawn overworld map. I came to the conclusion I might be making things harder in my head than they have to be, so I gave that a shot.

So far it's coming along really really well. I don't want to show anything until I get some of it colored. But the results thus far have basically made me giddy all day.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds promising and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the paper mansion quite fun to navigate, but each on their own I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  3. +1 to thist post, we're waiting to a new release of the game. Your game is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silver: I'm glad you liked it. But later down the road I anticipate it becoming a major hassle to hunt through your inventory for the specific Key that takes you where you want to go. The new setup will reduce that and hopefully be a little faster overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah haveing to remember where each of 30 keys take you would be frustrating, but its a cool idea. I'd keep it for some secret sections if you can, perhaps a secret back door into some ones room or onsen as an example :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Navigating the paper mansion WAS pretty cool once I figured out the keys and everything. But I can definitely see the appeal of some kind of organized fast travel option, preferably along with a faster run button.

    My main problem with the first release of Bonehead was how slow-paced getting from one point to another could be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DFT: Those kind of secrets will still work with the new way I'm doing it. It's a little hard to explain. I'll give you guys a preview as soon as I can. I expect to be working throughout the week so it might have to wait till the next one though.

    Anon: Yeah. The world map was to big and empty. Not a lot of overworld tiles. The new one is going to be much more compacted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I can see it being a tad hard to remember where all the keys go, so maybe a change is for the best, but I will certainly miss the whole 'adventure game' feel of just trying the keys to see what happens.

    As for the overworld map the old one remind me of the one in Chrono trigger, albeit with a bit less things to interact with. Looking forward to what the new one will be like

    ReplyDelete
  9. Out of 10, how far would you say you are with a new update?

    ReplyDelete
  10. just satrted playing this game but can anyone help me w/ the part where u have to kill the zombie by urself cause i always die at that point and the save point is very far away

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silver: Chrono Trigger was actually the inspiration behind the new one. Every place looked interesting. They hide stuff without having to inflate the map size. Places were close together so it all felt full of life. Managed to get some color on it today so yay!

    Evan: 5? Over half the art is down. Maps are over also lil over 50%. Events not at all. At my fastest I can do a map in a day, at the my slowest, couple weeks. Pain in the butt recently. :/

    Anon: It's a side quest so you don't have to do it. Also. Steal. For those moments in life when something much stronger than you has something you want~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep up the good work !
    Take all the time you need, don't let people pressure you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sound's interesting i just hope you keep at your awesome art style. i really love how every thing looks and hope the change from paper mansion to this will keep it unique looking well making it a bit easier to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what anonymous above said, art style is really good, the best one I've seen in a rpg maker game probably

    ReplyDelete